Sunday, March 24, 2013

Writing Alohas


The past few days were spent working on cover letters and applications. I was basically stranded at my friends house while they were both at work, but the 3 of us all made breakfast together this morning (there's that food connection again). We made banana walnut chocolate chip pancakes from scratch with eggs and some pineapple sausage. The pinacle of it all was I discovered there is such a thing as coconut syrup! Just kidding, although it was fantastic. This was just a reminder of how great my friends here have been. They are so encouraging and supportive, and in the week that I have been here my spirit has been reinvigorated. I've had so many inspiring and reflective conversations with them. Even though I feel unsure about what direction I'm going in the ride couldn't be any more true.


Earlier today Jo took me out to run a few errands and we grabbed some lunch. I finally picked up some post cards, which was something that was at the top of my priorities list. I spent the rest of the afternoon addressing and writing them. As I did this I thought about a conversation I had with my advisor just before I left Boston. It was about quality control in relation to music; more specifically about how the quality of music has gone down because the music industry has focused on becoming more digitized.
When it comes to music and putting a release out on vinyl, (or cutting a dubplate) cost a fair amount of money so if you're going to invest the money into that you have to be sure the music is top notch. The other aspect of the digitalization of the music industry is that its created this immediate consumerism where everyone sort just gobbles the latest and greatest down their throats and then promptly awaits the next course.
I remember when I was in my late teens / early twenties going to the local record shop every week to check out the new releases. When it comes to indy labels and obscure music you have to be there often because limited copies can sell quick and you'll miss out if you're not on top of your game. But, I also remember the sense of inclusion and community I felt there. I met so many other local dj's who I learned quite a bit from. Not just about DJ'ing, but about running a club night, promotion, social and political etiquete, and much, much more. But, the record shop went under thanks to the inflating costs of importing records, rent, and the rise of digitalization. Those communities dissipated off and I was left with ordering my records from a vendor out of the United Kingdom whom I have never met and know very little about.
So as I wrote these post cards I saw this as a nod to those older days. I'm not saying they're better I'm just appreciating the experience and what I learned. I really appreciated writing out each name, address, and personal note to everyone by hand. I feel like it carries so much more weight than sending an email or a text message. I just hope that everyone can read my hand writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment