Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Beach


Today we kept it simple. I spent the morning writing, reflecting, and looking into other job prospects since my schedule has been open. After that Alex and I rolled over to Kamaole Beach to  go for a swim. From when I first considered coming back to my actual arrival here I have had a strong desire to swim in the ocean. No scratch that. It's been almost more of a primal urge churning in my head as though the ocean was calling me back here.
Sitting on the beach with Alex we had a really nice talk about the beach, and how swimming in the ocean was a cleansing experience. A spiritual experience. I thought about when I was a little kid and how much I loved going to my extended family's summer house in South Kingstown, RI. Running up and down the shore and jumping in and out of the waves. But, as a teenager my viewpoint changed, and I remember hating the beach. I hated the fact that sand would get into everything. It wasn't until I was in my early-mid twenties that I rediscovered my love of the ocean. Upon this rekindling I have found deeper appreciation, inspiration, and gratitude for the grains of sand against my feet; the movement of the waves; the sun against my skin and disappearing behind the clouds; the pure experience of being at the beach.

1 comment:

  1. My draw to the beach every Sunday this past summer was definitely a spiritual one. I would go alone, and it was like an extended meditation session. The waves help. I didn't always love it, but I love it now.

    ReplyDelete