Saturday, March 16, 2013

Final Destination


As the sun came up over the Bay area this morning I loaded my bags into the back of Andy's car. Before piling in and heading over to SFO I snapped a photo of us, and then it was time. I almost didn't make my flight because I had to go back to the ticket counter to get a hard copy of a boarding pass. Note to remember; apparently TSA won't scan your cell phone. But, I made it to my gate just in time and settled in for the five and half hour flight to Honolulu, and then a brief thirty minute flight to my final destination, Kahului.


I'm actually here. I made it. I stepped off the plane in Kahului, and my friend Jo came to pick me up. She greeted me with a big hug. Then we went back to her place to drop off my bags, and suit up for the  beach. However, a box that I had shipped before I left Boston had not arrived so I had to borrow a pair of trunks from her fiancĂ© Alex. We hit the beach as you can see. While we were in the water we saw whales off in the distance. They would come up out of the water every so often. We could just see their dorsal fins and water being spouted out of their blow holes. I was pretty amazed. 
Seriously though, I fly 5000 miles away from everything I've ever known to this tiny little island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and when I get off the plane I see whales!? I've never seen a fucking whale in my entire life! Not to sound cheesy, but the way that everything has sort of just fallen into place for me to end up here has left me speechless. And, when I was in the ocean I had another bout of laughter that was just so intense. My friend Jo started asking me if everything was okay. I was practically on the verge of laugh-crying. You know when you laugh so hard tears start rolling down your face. I kept thinking to myself; "I'm here, I'm really here."

After a quick dip in the ocean we stopped by this place called the Coconut Fish Cafe for a quick snack. We grabbed an order of coconut shrimp, which came with this amazing pineapple sweet & sour dipping sauce. It was the one. Trust. 
I was so beat from traveling all day. My internal clock was just about fried at this point, but I felt really good inside. I was proud I had made it this far. I even had some good news to share with my friends over dinner tonight. I received an email asking me to come in for an interview at the University of Hawaii - Maui Community College Campus on Monday. Even if I don't get the job I feel honored to be called in for an interview. The past 10 days of traveling have been so surreal. I really can't think of any other way to describe the experience. And, although I'm far away from everything I know, slightly missing family, friends, and the regularities of Boston I can honestly say my heart feels at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment