Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Revisiting Ho'okipa


Early this afternoon I had my interview over at the Community College of Maui. I think it went well, but I'll keep my fingers crossed to hear back soon about a second round interview. I'm always uncomfortable when it comes to being interviewed. I'm not one to try and "sell myself" to people. I've always had more of a walk softly with a big stick kind of attitude. But, I think its experiences like these that force me to come out of that shell. Whether I get the position or not I'm still happy to have had this opportunity. And, just as I was about to leave for the interview today the box I shipped from home arrived. I was quite excited since this meant that I didn't need to go buy another bottle of sunblock, shaving cream, etc... and that I finally had my bathing suit and back up hard drive.


The other night Jo brought me down to Ho'okipa Beach Park, which is such a beautiful place. I remember coming here when I came to Maui for the first time about a year and half ago. It's hard to tell from these pictures, but the waves were huge, at least 10 feet high. We sat there eating apples watching the surfers ride the waves. If you look closely at the sunset pic you can see little specs on the water towards the bottom right, those are surfers waiting for the right wave.
As I reflected on the previous paragraph I thought about how these surfers might be a reflection of our own lives. How we sometimes wait around for something to happen, like the surfers waiting for a wave. Then when its time  we step up and move all at once, like a surfer paddling with and riding the wave. Everything is a fluid movement. It's not separated into bits or pieces. There's just a fluidity to everything. I found myself wondering do beginnings and endings truly exist? Is life just a fluid movement?

No comments:

Post a Comment