Monday, March 4, 2013

Leaving It All Behind


On January 15th after some long thought, deep discussion, and a little luck I made the choice to leave my home here in the metro Boston area to go live with 2 of my best friends on the island of Maui. It was not an easy decision because I have called the city of Boston home for over 10 years now. I lied in bed wide awake many nights as I struggled back and forth between what my mind thought was right versus what I felt in my heart.

Upon deciding to move, it seemed as though the days and nights leading up to my departure date got shorter and shorter. My days seemed to be filled with work, work, work! For the past 2 years I have been working in education with high school students from all over the city of Boston. As my time was coming to an end I thought about the experiences I shared with these students. I was honored to work with all of them (and I'm sure some of them would tell you they wouldn't have survived the college application process without me, which I highly doubt). Nonetheless, these experiences have given me more than I can simply sum up in a few paragraphs. Without sounding too cliché I think that I learned more from them than they did from me.

My nights were spent gathering with family and friends. I am so thankful for all the dinners, lunches, brunches, get-togethers, laughs, calls, texts, hugs, words, and love that people have expressed. Through these experiences I got a glimpse into the impact I have made on others, and I saw how these people have helped to carry me in my own endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment