Sunday, April 7, 2013

One Month


As of yesterday April 5th, its been exactly one month since I left Massachusetts, and three weeks since I first landed here in Maui. Upon arrival I have spent most of my time sitting in front of my computer scanning through the potential job ads. When I'm not doing that I've been sweeping and cleaning the house, or trying to find some meaningful way to contribute or give back to my friends who have been all to gracious. Of course, I have also found myself sitting and looking into my own mind. Revisiting that space. That vast emptiness that exists somewhere. Then my friends come home from work and we come together and cook dinner. The kimchee fried rice above is from the other day. This coming together brings me a lot of joy. When we all sit down to eat there's always a moment of silence. That moment when we're all in unison appreciating the sensation of taste.


Spending the last 10 years in Boston means I'm no stranger to Chinatown and all the wonderful tastings it has to offer. One of those tasty treats I had on a number of occasions was called Cha Siu Bao. However, the ones pictured above are the Hawaiian version called manapua. The pork filling on the inside is Char Siu flavored. I can only describe it as a sweet barbecue-like flavoring. We ended up having Char Siu last night as well, but this time it was with chicken and some fried rice as you can see below.


I had another interview this morning for a position at one of the colleges on the Big Island. I think I did really well. However, I wonder if it would be the right fit for me. The Big Island is quite rural and very different from what I've been used to. But, then I wonder if it's what I really need. A place where I can be free from distractions, free from the hustle and bustle, free from...

No comments:

Post a Comment