Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Push and Pull


I think it's quite amazing how the world exerts the force of push and pull on different planes. For the past two and half months I have been blessed to say that I coud call this amazing place home. Almost every morning I sweep the floor of my friend's place. When I reflect on this sweeping it seems to lie somewhere between a personal ritual and a form of gratitude. As a ritualistic practice I deeply appreciate the way not just sweeping the floor, but the act of cleaning seems to calm my mind. The simple act of cleaning seems to bring forth a peace of mind based on two reasons. The first reason lies in performing the act itself because when I focus my attention on the task at hand my mind seems to settle. The second reason that brings about calmness is in the result that comes from cleaning. As a form of gratitude this act is one simple way I can show my friends just how much i appreciate what they have done for me in giving me a place to stay for a while. But even as I clean, observe, eat, swim, or take in the sun I feel a pulsing inside. It's moving to the beat of the hard pavement and sidewalks I remember so well. The comforts and familiarities of the city. The heightened sense of alertness that comes with being there. I can feel myself being pulled back to where I came from.

Tune: Magnetic City by Kode9 out on Soul Jazz Records

No comments:

Post a Comment