Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Reverse Progression


It has been a while since I wrote something. After returning back to Massachusetts I was graciously offered a summer job for a TRiO Upward Bound program. I was quite happy to have things line up so nicely so that I wasn't left struggling to find a more permanent source of income just yet. At the same time I only spent 3 weeks in my old room since I had returned from Hawaii. I had to pack back up and move into a college dorm because the summer program I was working for was residential. This was to give the high school students enrolled in the program the chance to see what dorm life on a real college campus is like. The seven weeks I spent living and working with 60 or so high school students at Wheaton College was both highly rewarding and demanding. Pictured above is the dorm room I spent most of my summer in. The first few weeks were a bit difficult due to the lack of air conditioning along with a serious heat wave. There a few other issues that arose along the way, but I truly enjoyed this experience. I also really appreciated the staff members I got to know while working there.
Being in the dorm was quite strange at times because I never lived in a college dorm during my time as an undergraduate student. At first it was incredibly hard to sleep because I'm a very light sleeper and the students, well they were just students so lets just leave it at that. As I thought about my temporary home I realized that 2013 has been a year of moment. It felt very nomadic. A few calculations made me realize that I had spent almost 6 months sleeping outside of my own room. Then again when I read that last sentence I begin to wonder if such a place really exists at the moment.
Since the summer program has ended I've been playing the cover letter-hand shake-interview game, but nothing has come to fruition. Although, I have been surprised by the fact that I have had a fair number of interviews since my return. As I progress through this experience I can slowly feel the tension rising. My mind has started to churn quite quickly once again. As my reserve funds are gradually melting away I find myself caught in a thought cycle revolving around student loan payments, retirement plans, credit card debt, groceries, transportation, and everything else that comes with being an adult in society. Just have to stay grounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment